Mediterranean 'Pasta' with 'Zoodles' - Recipe for one
Steak, red capsicum and mushrooms in a tomato sauce on zucchini spirals.
This dish has it all - nutritious, seasonal, quick and economical. It's one pan wonder with seven servings of vegetables!
Well this is so not the meal I thought I would be writing about today. Day 2 and I have already gone rogue on the week's menu plan! Tonight was meant to be salmon, but i had a huge crazing for red meat. Also, having spent the weekend sorting out photos for this blog, I realised how many I ate were the same, so I thought if I am ever going to provide ideas for other people I need to be a bit more varied in my choices.
I was also craving comfort food - specifically pasta. So I wandered around the supermarket clutching a packet of pasta. All the while at war with myself as I was trying to have a gluten free week.
Miraculously zucchini were on special! Realising this is a vegetable I rarely but convinced myself to ditch the pasta andbuy zucchini and try out my new spiralizer - pseudo pasta!
I had a bit of time on my hands tonight, so other than playing around with the controls on my camera to try and improve picture quality - I not only did a very precise breakdown of costs, but tried out one of the nutrition calculators on the web to get a breakdown of nutrients and calories. A few things really surprised me:
- vegetables contain salt - and spinach has quite a high content!
- even buying mainly seasonal and one of the cheapest cuts of meat, and making a very basic meal the cost was nearly $7
- I need to reconsider how much oil oil I use! Adding the 30 ml to the nutrition and calorie counter nearly doubled the number of calories in the meal - from 359to 609.
To read more about my thoughts on this, and why that has spurred me on even further to share ways of creating well rounded, interesting, simple, quick meals, read here..
Step by Step
Ideas for what to do with leftovers | Red capsicum
- 1/4 sliced onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 120 gm strips topside steak
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 100gm sliced red capsicum
- 1 large field mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/4 avocado
- 40 ml water
- Heat oil in pan, add steak, then set aside when cooked
- Add extra tablespoon of oil to pan and saute onion and garlic
- Add cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until soft
- Add capsicum, mushrooms and water and simmer for5 minutes
- Add spinach to pan, then put lid back on for 1 minute to wilt spinach
- Add steak back to pan to warm through
- Use spiralizer to create zucchini 'pasta'
- Pour sauce over pasta, add avocado and serve.