Superfood Tuna - Tin to table in 15 minutes
Currently my 'go-to-meal' this recipe is packed with goodness.
It's a perfect weeknight dinner when you don't want to put in much effort, but still want to eat something that is light and healthy.
Plus there are endless ways to vary it - sub chicken instead of tuna, sub or add to the broccoli with frozen peas, beans, spinach or even corn and red capsicum.
I'm vaguely obsessed with the combination of lemon, ginger and turmeric at the moment (yep - I'm a total sucker for any article about the powers of a new 'superfood') and have bought more turmeric in the last few weeks than the rest of my life combined! However, even if your eyes glaze over at the word 'superfood' - bear with me, this is a great dish to try.
I've shown the steps below. I used pre-cooked quinoa, but if you don't have any cooked rice or quinoa on hand, that will need to be cooked, or it could be served without any carb-like additions.
Another thing that makes this dish a winner in my mind is that there is so little washing up.
To keep things to one pan, instead of steaming the broccoli separately I boil it in a tiny bit of water for about 2 minutes, then leave it to steam for about 2 - 3 minutes then set it aside, ready to warm through and add back to the dish.
I added avocado and black pepper - and voila - a quick, simple, nutritious meal with little washing up. Heaven.
- Substitute or add frozen peas, spinach, chopped up green beans
- Use corn and frozen peas
- Add red capsicum for colour
- Use Cauliflower Rice for extra vegetables and instead of quinoa or rice
- Use chicken, salmon or beef mince instead of tuna
- 1 table spoon coconut or olive oil
- 2cm knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion or half of a larger onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 lemon - rind and juiced
- 1 small can of tuna (I used the smallest can, but the next size up would be good if you are hungry!)
- 1 cup of chopped broccoli
- 3/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice or quinoa (more if your hungry!)
- Add small amount of water to the fry pan, and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes with lid on. (Monitor carefully so pan doesn't burn dry). Transfer quickly to a bowl and cover with lid for another 2 - 3 minutes so the broccoli steams and cooks through a bit more. Remove the lid after this, so broccoli doesn't over-cook. (Or simply microwave!)
- Heat oil in pan and saute onions until translucent. Then add ginger and lemon rind and saute for another minute. Then add turmeric and mix through.
- Add tin of Tuna and mix through. Then add cooked rice or quinoa and mix through.
- Finally add broccoli to the pan and mix through to combine and heat.
- Add any seeds (pepitas or sunflower seeds) or additions, e.g. coriander or avocado.
- Squeeze lemon juice, mix - and eat!