Salmon on bed of roasted carrot & parsnip mash
Jump to recipe Print Recipe
Prep time, Cook Time, Difficulty
Number of serves of vegetables
What is most amazing about this delicious sheet pan salmon dinner for one is that it was created from a mix of scrappy leftovers!
Staring into a very bare fridge the only thing I knew before I started is that I wanted something healthy that would also satisfy my craving for comfort food. I was pretty chuffed this is what I ended up with. Colourful, slightly glamorous and definitely healthy the hero is the parsnip and carrot mash roasted with cumin. Read below how simple this dish was to make and how easy it is to adapt.
This dinner is an example of the versatility of sheet pan dinners and that even if you are cooking for one, they are a great option.
Combining the salmon with a roasted vegetable mash gave a it the comfort food factor. Adding the pomegranates contributed the glamour and adding a dressing amped up the flavour.
I just love that something that looks so colourful and tasted so delicious was created from such a bare fridge and a pretty uninspiring set of ingredients. It really does show the value of 'just starting' and putting your imagination to work.
Note: If the last thing you want to do is use your imagination at the end of the day and would like to be more certain that you will have the right ingredients available, but still like this dish, see where salmon has been incorporated into my weekly menu plans. You can use these to plan ahead and help put together your weekly shopping list.
This meal is an example of a meal that an be made exactly as I have done, or you can follow the basic steps and adapt it for the ingredients you have available.
If you don't have the same ingredients to hand you can follow the basic steps and adapt them base on what is available in your fridge, freezer or pantry - or just what you feel like eating!
A note about quantities
In the recipe below I note the quantities, but these are approximate.
Feel free to use your judgement, e.g. use how hungry you are and how much you feel like eating as your guide as to how much much mash you make, how big a piece of salmon you choose and how much broccoli you have. For instance I am always keen to make sure I get at least 3 - 5 serves of vegetables in any meal, so If am only cooking with 3 vegetables, such as here, I might double up on broccoli and make that count for two serves.
Basic method for sheet pan roast salmon for one and roast vegetable mash
- Select the vegetables that you want to make into mash (1) Good combos for mashing and any other vegetables that you want to have
- Pre-heat oven to 220 c or x
- Prepare vegetables for roasting. Note, how big you cut them will determine how long they take to cook, so try and make vegetables chopped into similar size pieces so they cook evenly
- The vegetables that take the longest to cook will go into the roasting pan first. For example in this recipe, the carrots and parsnips take about 40 minutes to roast and the salmon and broccoli take 12 - 15 minutes depending on how well cooked you like your salmon.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil rub in cumin, then put into the oven to roast for 25 minutes
- At the 25 minute mark add the salmon and broccoli
- Remove from the oven and then transfer the carrot and parsnip to a separate bowl and mash together with a fork or a potato masher. (If desired add a knob of butter and pepper and salt to taste)
- Transfer mash to a plate, pile spinach on top, and drizzle with the dressing, then add salmon and broccoli to the plate then sprinkle over pomegranate seeds.
Sheet pan salmon for one on bed of roast parsnip & carrot mash with cumin
Salmon & vegetables
- 100 - 200 gram piece of salmon (Size depending on your appetite)
- 1 - 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into quarters
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into quarters or thirds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 - 4 florets of broccoli
- 1 cup spinach (baby or normal Spinach, or similar leafy greens)
- 1/4 cup of pommegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 table spoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
Instructions - Salmon and vegetables
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Toss carrots & parsnips in cumin and olive oil, put into a baking dish or lay flat on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes
Make dressing. See instructions below.
Add salmon and broccoli to the roasting pan or tray
Roast for a further 10 - 15 minutes depending on how cooked you like your salmon
Remove from oven. Put carrot and parsnip in a separate bowl and roughly mash with a fork or potato masher
Assemble dinner by putting mash on the plate. Add layer of spinach or greens. Drizzle over dressing. Put salmon on top. Sprinkle over pomegranates and add broccoli to the plate to serve.
Instructions - dressing
In a small jar mix all ingredients together and then shake to combine
More ideas for sheet pan dinners for one
More dinners for one with salmon
More one pan dishes for one
Ideas to increase the number of serves of vegetables in your evening dinner