This is a great ‘go to’ dish when the fridge is bare and you want something super easy, quick, nutritious and tasty - but really can’t be bothered and have no ingredients!
This is a super simplified version of the more glamorous version that I used to cook from one of the little Sanitarium cookbooks. The link to it is here, in case you do want something a bit more fancy. I make this dish several times a month, so check at the links at the bottom for variations.
For those who want a quick 'how to'
- Saute onions
- Add 1.5 cups of passata and 2 tsp of Oregano then simmer 5 - 10 minutes on medium until reduced.
- Add ½ can butter beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- The dish is ready to serve - or if you wish to, stir through a cup of fresh spinach or kale until it is wilted, then serve.
Recipe - Serves One
From the cupboard
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons, or 40ml
- dried oregano - 1 tablespoon, or 10 grams
- can butter beans - 1/2 440 gram tin
- jar of passata - 1.5 cups, or 375ml
- one small onion, or half a large onion, finely sliced
- garlic - 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- fresh kale - 2 cups (optional)
- Heat olive oil in small fry pan
- Saute onions until translucent
- Add passata and oregano and then cook on medium heat for 5 - 7 minutes until reduced, e.g. the mixture looks thicker and richer.
- Add butter beans and cook until beans are warmed through, about 3 - 5 minutes on medium heat
- Add kale and stir through for 2 - 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Servings: One
- Dietary Requirements: Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free
- Difficulty: Simple
- Number of ingredients: 7
- Total time: 20 minutes
- Cost: budget (approximately
- Calories and Kilojoules:
- Serves of vegetables: 1
Hacks, Substitutions and Modifications
- Want a more substantial meal
- add bacon - which you would saute, with the onions
- serve on a bed or rice, pasta, quinoa, cauliflower rice or zucchini spirals
- Want more greens: I sometimes add ¼ to half a cup of frozen peas. Diced red capsicum would also be a great addition to this dish for those wanting to increase the amount of vegetables.
- More flavour:add 2 cloves crushed garlic to the onions and a tablespoon of tomato paste to the passata
- Don’t have or like dried Oregano: Basil, mixed herbs or any herb you prefer can be used instead of Oregano. Similarly if you have fresh herbs to hand these can be substituted for dry herbs.
One pan dishes
Recipes to use up leftover Butter Beans
Variations of the Tomato and Butterbean casserole dish