Roasting takes out the effort of this absolutely delicious, warming winter soup.
- Roast sweet potato, onion & garlic
- Heat stock in a saucepan. Once heated add roasted vegetables, and teaspoon of ground cumin
- Blend then serve
Serves one person
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
- chicken stock - 500 ml (Liquid chicken stock is preferable, but stock cubes can be used)
- sweet potato - 1 'average' sweet potato, e.g. approx x grams
- onion- 1 x small onion
- garlic - 4 cloves
- Pre-heat oven to 220.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato and onions into chunks, then toss in olive oil (Include Garlic)
- Layout onion and sweet potato on an oven tray and roast for 30 mins at 220, or until cooked and golden. (Onion should be soft and translucent) (Time is for a traditional oven, so may be quicker in a fan forced oven)
- Heat 500ml of chicken stock in a saucepan, then add the cooked vegetables and cumin, before blending until smooth.
- Taste and add more cumin or pepper and salt if required.
Hacks, modifications and ingredient swaps
- No chicken stock or vegetarian version desired - This could be made with water. Similarly, if you don't have liquid chicken stock, a stock cube will work just as well as will any form of vegetable stock.
- No sweet potato?: This approach to making soup would work just as well with pumpkin and even cauliflower.
- Don't or don't want to use the oven - use the stove top - Heat olive oil in a saucepan before adding adding chopped onion and garlic and sauteing until golden. Add sweet pototato and saute for extra 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and cumin. Then after bringing to the boil, simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked through. Blend.
Original blog post with step by step instructions and images
More soup recipes